Wednesday

Alice Anderson

I stumbled across Alice's website after looking through Kate McCgwire's. I immediately took an interest in her work, I find it extremely interesting and even more so when reading how she describes her own work. I feel as though she relates to my own work as much of her work is based on past happenings of her own life, the way she's been brought up and the people that surrounded her.

Alice Anderson, Immured, 2008


This piece is made solemnly out of dolls hair, I think it's fascinating and quirky. I personally haven't seen anything like this before now. In an interview with Maud Jacquin, Alice goes on to say that her work is 'a compulsive and obsessive production through which I explore and give shape to my child hood'. She also says that she watched a lot of films and read books where the characters had red hair, hence the use of red hair within her sculptures/architectural pieces. Another reason she relates to my work is that during this interview she starts talking about the circle symbol and saying it's another of her obsessions, and as previously stated the circle means a lot to my self, in a different manner, but it still means something, for Alice it represents anxiety and refers to enclosure whereas I see it as a symbol of eternity and warmth, almost a comfort blanket. 

Alice Anderson, Spectre, 2008
The image above is of a piece she created of a doll size model of herself, in an interview I have read (unfortunately noted that I can no longer find it) she mentioned that the doll began to take over, she felt as though the dolls was becoming more her then she was herself. Almost as if the doll was alive. So she locked it in this glass coffin casing as if to put it to rest, I suppose you can say so she feels safer, more secure knowing that it was in locked casing rather then being free. I think that this links in well with my own work as the circle being a symbol that I think is extremely important, previously stated, the circle can hold things within it, and keep unwanted things out, like a security blanket, and Alice has done the same here, by locking away the unwanted.

No comments:

Post a Comment