Monday

David Hockney

The main reason I am researching into David is because of his sketch book work from the 00's. It relates greatly to my work as this is what I am doing for my project, study sketches of places I visit and general day-to-day life. Where he uses colour in his sketches as well, I will just be using your average HB pencil set but I may experiment using only two colours much like David has in the following.

David Hockney, Sketch book London/Bruges, June 2002
Although you can only see one of the images from this sketch book, it you follow the link below, click slide show and then you'll understand which images I am talking about.


The first sketch you see, it's quite difficult to understand what it is, but I like this fact, he's drawn it from his point of view, what he likes about it, so to him it doesn't matter what the viewer sees, it's what he sees that matters. I like working with line drawings, very minimal, and rarely any major detail. Sometimes less is more so they say. 
The second image you see is much like the first, quite difficult to see what the sketch resembles. In this he includes text, and as i've stated before now, I like to include text within my own sketches. Here he is just informing the viewer  of a place and date, presumably the date he was in London.
In the third he begins to use colour, but only the colour red. I think that for him, this works well, it emphasizes the objects within the image, creating a small contrast between the two. 
I really like the forth image, mainly due to the fact that the main point of focus being the most detailed item, I think that this is a good way of making the point of interest stand out, adding more detail to that area and leaving the rest your basic outline/line drawings. 
As his drawings go on after this I find that they become more and more detailed, not in depth, but detailed for rough sketches. I think that they start to get like this because he possibly had a longer period of time to do these, or perhaps his first few sketches, he intended them to be basic and minimal. 

Overall I think that David is perfect inspiration for my rough sketches, the way he uses two colours to create contrast and add minor detail to a sketch is experimental and I intend to try this myself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment