Monday

Feathers & symbolism

I have always been fond of feathers, they have many concepts that I admire, such as the way they are formed, smooth one way but rough the other, how certain types reflect the light and emphasize the colours. There is also the symbolism behind each type of bird, thus then connecting to the feathers. I am researching into this as I mentioned before, my project start basis is myself, and these two subjects relate to me greatly.





Looking specifically at the 'Magpie' species, as this is the bird that means the most to me. The poem, 'one for sorrow, two for joy..' is something I follow like a religion, the  superstition of gaining bad luck from one and joy from two and the spitting, saluting, throwing salt and saying that follow the seeing of one. Although in different places the rule changes. For me I salute. 
It started off in the ancient European cultures, the Magpie was said to be able to predict omens, which is where the song/rhyme began to be produced. 






Another symbol that I particularly am interested in is the symbolism of a circle. Undoubtedly underestimated, the circle represents a number of things, it's seen as warm and comforting and also to give a sensuality of love. Another meaning is that it's a never ending symbol, i has no points and could go on forever, this gives the concept of it standing for eternity. It can also be seen as a symbol that protects, the things within the circle are protected and restricted to others, it keeps unwanted things out.

No comments:

Post a Comment