Wednesday

Tracey Emin

I have chosen to research into Tracey Emin as she is one of my favorite artists. I admire her work greatly and find she always inspires me within my own projects. She believes strongly in what she produces and I think that, that is important when producing your own work. I feel she relates to my work as many of her projects begin with herself as the starting point, and the majority of her work reflects on events and memories that Tracey has experienced and holds. I also think that it relates to my own work as she uses a lot of visual text in her work, the majority include quotes, feelings or thoughts whether they are the centre piece or whether they are just another part of the piece. 


Tracey Emin, 'I know I know I know' 2007


The neon sign piece you see above is one of Tracey's art works, with this one i like the way she uses repetition to emphasize the point she's trying to get across, in this case being 'I know' or in other words that she knows something. I like this piece because I think that using neon as part of your work creates a new atmosphere, as it's using lighting I'm presuming that the room would of had to of been darker or dull for it to be powerful, I feel that this would enable the viewer to have full concentration on what's in front of them rather then their surroundings. In my own work i want to create a similar atmosphere, I want the viewer to have full concentration on my work and to enable them to become deep in thought to the meaning behind the piece.


Tracey Emin, unknown, unknown


Again in this image Tracey is using text to support her work with added imagery. I like this contrast as in a personal opinion; I think that it also creates more interest as it contains a variety of concepts rather then just one. When going through my own sketchbooks I can see where she has influenced me sub-consciously as I tend to use text as well as imagery within them. What I like most when it comes to Tracey's work, is the how brash and forthright she is, using what's known as 'foul' language. I also find it be rather blunt in some cases, like in this piece she's telling the viewer, or the person who the piece was about, that if they don't like what she's stating they should 'go and fuck your self' (themselves). She makes sure she gets her point across. Generally I don't think that this so much relates to my own work, but within this project I'm going to experiment with different text inserts, such as feelings and statements like the likes of Tracey's but about myself or things I want to put across to others, or even certain people without saying it directly to them, but using art to do so, therefor it being open to state what or who the viewer thinks it's aimed at. 






Tracey Emin, My bed, 1998

Tracey's bed is a well-known installation. It creates a lot of questions in the viewers mind, and from the people I've looked at it with, it has been mainly 'what is the point in it? It's crap'. To me this question is irrelevant, to say that an art piece is, is very narrow-minded. I think Emin's bed is a piece that should be idolized as it pushes boundaries due to how outrageous it is. Although saying this, I do think questions should be asked but not ones that question the artist’s skill. This piece is created using alot of textures, this is mainly from the broad range of materials that Tracey uses. 
Along with this piece came a lot of up roar, it's much like marmite, you either love it, or you hate it, there's no in-between. Some have described the bed as 'dirty' and have said that the smell churns the stomach, then others have been able to push past such thoughts and see the real beauty of it. How it represents the teenage years of alcohol, drug and sex Emin experienced, she described the time period of 'my bed' as a time when she was 'mentally ill' although not being medically analyzed for this, this is how she felt (illuminations, tracey emin, everyone I have ever slept with. video interview). 


Tracey Emin, anyone I have ever slept with, 1995
This tent is another of Tracey's works that people question why and what the point of it is. In an interview with illuminations she discuss' that when people left the tent they were, 'thinking of anyone they've been intimate with' (illuminations video, interview Tracey Emin) and this is the effect she wanted it to have. The tent wasn't just about who she'd had sex with, it was about anyone she'd been intimate with, including just sharing the bed or sleeping. It gives a huge impact on the viewer, as leaving the tent thinking of such, would of been rather emotional, it would be something you would remember. 

No comments:

Post a Comment